Search this website

Shortlist symbol Add to shortlist button.

Bempton Cliffs

New Business Checklist

Practical advice for anyone thinking about setting up or developing a tourism business in Hull and East Yorkshire, including lots of useful contacts and useful links to specialist knowledge.

- Business Advice

- Planning Permission

- Fire Regulations

- Insurance

- Food Safety Legislation

- Caravan Licensing

- Tourism Website

- Visitor Information Services

- Conference and Events Bureau

- Brown Signs


Business Advice for people starting a business in the Hull & East Riding area

East Riding of Yorkshire Council and Hull City Council aim to support you in any way they can to make sure your investment and business interests are successful.

You are encouraged to use the team of qualified business advisors as early in the planning stages as possible.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council (ERYC) can provide new businesses with a simple guide to their start-up needs and directed to the appropriate services such as planning food services, licensing etc.

Sound planning, the development of best practice and compliance with the law from the outset, gives rise to longer-term survival rates and prepares you for any potential pitfalls.

ERYC provide free assistance from trained business advisers, who are available for individual support, through our business centre network.

Click here for East Riding 4 Business website

For business advice please contact:

Beverley, Hessle, and surrounding areas:
Tel. 01482 880460

Bridlington and surrounding areas:
Tel. 01262 401399

Driffield, and surrounding areas,
Tel. 01377 240940

Market Weighton, Pocklington and surrounding area:
Tel. 01430 803406

Brough, Ferriby, South Cave and surrounding area:
tel. 01482 666624

Goole and surrounding areas:
Tel. 01405 767654

Hull City Council’s Enterprise Support Team provides a point of contact for anyone seeking business support in the Hull area.

Specific business support services available include; advice on sources of assistance relating to finance, starting and expanding a business, mentoring and tailored business advice.

The business support handbook can be downloaded here

Contact Details:
Paul Burnley / Phil Hall
T: 01482 612176 / 612167

Planning Permission

Generally speaking if you want to change the use of a building or alter or extend the building you will almost certainly require planning permission.

However, it is not required for changes to the inside of buildings, or for small alterations to the outside (i.e. alarm boxes, telephone connections).Other small changes, for example putting up walls and fences below a certain height, have a general planning permission for which a specific application is not required. If your property is mortgaged, you must also inform your mortgage provider of any planned change of use to the building

You can check informally with the Council whether your proposal requires planning permission.

In the first instance contact East Riding of Yorkshire Council on 01482 887700 or click here for further details  or Hull City Council on Tel 01482 300300 or call in at your local Customer Service Centre.

Back to top


Fire Regulations

For fire safety advice and the enforcement of the regulatory reform (fire safety order) 2005 contact Humberside Fire and Rescue Public Safety Centre or call 0300 30038242

Back to top



Have you adequate insurance cover? Some insurance brokers have special insurance packages available that include:

i) Public liability insurance
ii) Employers' liability insurance
iii) Property and contents insurance

Alternatively, you may be able to add extra cover to an existing policy..

Back to top


Food Safety Legislation

If your business involves the production, processing, preparation, distribution or sale of food, then (with some limited exceptions) the current food safety laws will apply to your business and you should be registered as a food business with your Local Authority.

Issues you will need to consider include:

- The structure and facilities at your premises

- Training of food handlers

- Food Safety Management System (i.e. how you organise, operate and monitor your business to ensure that you provide safe food at all times)

- Scores on the Doors and National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme - Hull and the East Riding operate these schemes so that when a business receives an inspection they are issued with a inspection report and a certificate and window sticker detailing their hygiene score under the scheme

- Any associated licences (i.e. Street trading, sale of alcohol etc.) that you may need to obtain.

For further information on any of the above matters please refer to for businesses based within the East Riding or for businesses based within Hull.

Back to top


Caravan Licensing

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 requires that no occupier of land can, after commencement of this Act, cause or permit any part of the land to be used as a caravan site unless he or she is a holder of a site license.

If you have land that you wish to develop into a caravan site you must apply for a license. click here for further details and an online application with East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

Applicants must first obtain the necessary planning consent from the Council before applying for a site licence. Click here for further details about planning requirements.


Tourism Website is the official tourism website for the area. The site offers a host of comprehensive visitor information for Hull & East Yorkshire, including accommodation, places to eat, attractions, events, activities and suggested itineraries.

Website promotion is a powerful way to make your business accessible to a worldwide audience. A basic entry on the site is free, simply complete a partnership application form.

Back to top


Visitor Information Services

Visitor information in Hull & East Yorkshire is delivered via a network of Tourist Information Centres (TICs) and Tourist Information Points (TIPs)

TIC staff are welcoming, friendly, well informed and skilled in up-selling. We offer tourism businesses the opportunity to be part of an accommodation booking service and attraction, events and box office services.

To be part of the bed booking scheme accommodation businesses agree to the TICs retaining a 10% of the value of the booking as a prepayment.

To use the box office services businesses will agree to a percentage commission on all sales. Events will be promoted on the Visit Hull and East Yorkshire website, posters within the TIC or on the electronic screen and in window display space, with businesses receiving regular sales reports and access to customer information, where agreed. Download a copy of the Web Box Office Service Agreement.

By working together with the local tourism industry to promote quality services, we aim to provide a customer focused service that increases visitor numbers and spend within the area.

For more information contact Liz Tanner on 01482 391527

Back to top


Conference and Events Bureau

East Yorkshire Events are the specialist, award-winning event management and business tourism department at East Riding of Yorkshire Council whose aim is to develop, market and promote the East Riding of Yorkshire as a top destination for conferences, events and business tourism. 

East Yorkshire Events currently support and facilitate over 40 large scale events including National Trade Union and Association conferences, alongside major National and International events which attract thousands of delegates, visitors, event participants and their families to East Yorkshire.

If you are a business located in the East Riding of Yorkshire and you are interested in working with us to provide accommodation and other services for conference delegates or would like further information please contact Will Hall or Daisy Jenkinson on 01482 391668.

Alternatively please e-mail us at
More information can be found at


Hull & East Yorkshire (HEY) Conferences has a small team of dedicated business tourism staff whose role is:

- To successfully promote Hull & East Yorkshire and raise the profile of the area as a key conference destination in order to compete regionally, nationally and internationally with other business tourism destinations.

- To attract conferences and events to the area to contribute to the economic impact of tourism to the region. Recent research shows that Business Events and Conferences generate an estimated annual spend of £80.7m for Hull & East Yorkshire.

- To increase client awareness of Hull & East Yorkshire and all venues, attractions and services within HEY Conferences partnership.

- To provide a quality ‘one stop shop’ service to conference organisers by maintaining and building awareness of HEY Conferences as a provider of a free, impartial venue finding and accommodation booking service.

Hull & East Yorkshire Conferences Partnership is a public / private sector partnership, made up of those businesses interested in providing services to conference and event organisers, including hotels, conference venues, attractions, restaurants, AV and transport providers etc.

By working together with Hull & East Yorkshire Conferences, partners benefit by being promoted through proactive business tourism marketing and PR campaigns run by HEY Conferences. Partners also have the opportunity to take part in familiarisation visits, exhibition attendance, industry training and networking events.

Participation in the partnership runs on an annual basis from 1st July – 30th June, although partners can join at any point within the year. Partnership rates start from as little as £150.00 + VAT.

For more information contact Ellie Garmston on 01482 391534 or email

Back to top


Brown Signs

Tourism attractions and facilities may apply for permission to have brown signs to be erected to direct visitors to their business, however tourism signs (brown signs) are not intended as a means adverting and can only be provided in accordance with strict criteria.

An application pack is available which gives details of the requirements.

If your businesses is in East Riding you can request your pack by:


Telephone: 01482 395739

If your business is in Hull please contact Asset Management Services and Design for more information.

2nd Floor Festival House

93 Jameson Street



Tel 01482 300300


Back to top