Search this website

Shortlist symbol Add to shortlist button.

Refine your search

Shortlist

Shortlist symbol Add to shortlist button.

Type of Venue

 

Location

 

Facilities

 

Or Venue Name

 
 

image for Music item typeLate Work at St John of Beverleyadd to shortlist

Music, Fri 3 Apr 2020

St John of Beverley Church

St John of Beverley Church

Details


Beethoven’s late period saw a troubled, unwell, deaf man writing music of extraordinary intensity, innovation and profundity: after his vast ninth symphony, premiered in 1824, he turned almost solely to string quartets in his last years. These late quartets were roundly dismissed by the audience of the day: composer Louis Spohr called them ‘indecipherable, uncorrected horrors’. And yet this music has had a deep effect on generations of composers since, and is today held to be some of the great art of all time.

Following recovery from a particularly acute period of illness, during which Beethoven found himself unable to compose, and feared for his life, the composer penned his Quartet No 15, Op 132. The weighty central movement is an intense prayer: he titled it ‘A sacred song of thanks from one made well, to the Divine; in the Lydian Mode’, or ‘Heiliger Dankgesang’. Like the great symphony of the previous year, the quartet takes the listener on a profound spiritual journey from darkness to light.

Disabled toilets

Full access facilities for wheelchairs (access plus disabled toilet) Loop system for hearing-aid users

Event details

Dates Times
Fri 3 Apr 2020 22:15 23:00
Late night concert

Prices

£8

Buy a Night Owl Pass and get entry to both late-night concerts for just £10!

Tickets can be bought online or from Beverley Tourist Information

Events at this Venue

date event
Fri 3 Apr Late Work

Contact

Beverley Tourist Information

Address

5 North Bar Without,
Beverley,
East Yorkshire,
HU17 7AG

Location

Directions

See location of St John of Beverley on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: TA 029399  Lat: 53.84530 Long: -0.43700

An adapted workshop was used for Mass from 1856, although Mass was being celebrated in the priest’s residence ten years before that and probably earlier, again in various houses. A small but attractive church was built in 1898 (architects Smith, Brodrick & Lowther) and substantially extended and rebuilt in 1999.

Parking: free

Facilities

  • Disabled toiletsDisabled toilets

Full access facilities for wheelchairs (access plus disabled toilet) Loop system for hearing-aid users