One of Britain's finest examples of medieval gothic architecture. Features 68, 16th-century misericords, saxon sanctuary chair, Percy tomb canopy and a large collection of medieval musician carvings in stone and wood.
Beverley Minster is the Parish Church of St. John and St. Martin. John, bishop of York, founded a monastery on the site where Beverley Minster stands. John died in 721 and his body was buried in a chapel of the Saxon church. He was canonised in 1037. The present church was built around his tomb. Building work began in 1220 and was completed in 1425. Throughout the Middle Ages miracles which took place at his tomb attracted pilgrims from far and wide.
Today the church is still a place of pilgrimage for visitors. It also continues to be a place of prayer and worship at the heart of the community.
Beverley Minster aims to be: A place of worship--Rejoicing in Christ A community of love--Reflecting Christ A light to the world--Revealing Christ
Weekday Opening Times 1st November to 28th February from 09:00 until 16:00 1st March to 30th April from 09:00 until 17:00 1st May to 31st August from 09:00 until 17:30 1st September to 31st October from 09:00 until 17:00
Sunday Opening Times 1st November to 31st March from 12:00 until 16:00 1st April to 31st October from 12:00 until 16:30